Monday, March 9, 2009

Another Hospital Visit.....

Tryna has had the worst raspy cough since November. We have treated her for croup among other things and this raspy cough would not go away. She sounded like Dart Vador when she was breathing. So last Saturday Corbyn started running a fever and I was sure it was strep, On Monday I called the Dr. and decided to make an appointment for Tryna as well. I was really getting worried that something was wrong with her lungs. So I take them in and yup Corbyn had strep and they decided to do some X-rays on Tryna's lungs. SO Iwent over to the hospital and did that and then they sent me right back to the Dr. office. I could tell by the X-ray tech's reaction that something wasn't right. So I was starting to panic slightly. I get there and the doc tells me that a coin is lodged in either her throat or trachea, it was so close that it was hard to tell. So they were sending me straight up to Primary Children's hopsital. They wanted me to take her by ambulance. I tried to tell them I really didn't think that was neccesary being that it has been there for awhile. But they still had the paramedics come. So they pull in with their stretcher and all. Meanwhile Tryna is running all over the office while Layni is freaking out practically crawling up me. It was quiet the scene. Thankfully the paramedics agreed with me that there was no no need to pay a $900 transport fee when I could watch her the same as them...So I signed a waiver releasing them of responsibility and waited for Shaun to arrive. Shaun's sweet brother Clint and his wife took the other 3 kids home and Shaun and I headed up to Salt Lake. Into the ER we go and we waited for a couple of hours there in our room while the medical staff changed their minds a couple of times as to what was the best way to go about removing it. First they were gunna take us right into surgery, but they decided it was her esophagus and not her trachea. So they admitted us overnight and put her on a steroid to reduce the inflamation around it.Then at 9:30 am. on Tues they took her in and gave her the loopey medicine before they put her out, which by the way was hillarious. She was giigling almost instanty after they gave it to her and could barely hold her head up.She was swaying all over the place. The surgery went well. They got the coin out which was a penny. It had been there awhile cause it was corroding. It had food packed around it. Pretty gross!!!I felt like the worst mother. I had no idea she swallowed a penny. Anyway the kept us there til that evening. They wanted to make sure she could drink and eat and that there was no swelling which would result in her airway being abstructed. She did fine. I think she drank all the apple juice they had.She was so hungry and thristy because they wouldn't let her eat 8 hrs before the surgery so by the time she got out it had been over 12 hours since she ate or drank. We took her home and she slept great that night.Which I was very grateful for. We had had a very long night the previous night.I think I only got a couple of hours of sleep. So hopefully no more hospital visits for her for awhile.She has had a tough 17 months of her life. We love her so much and I'm very grateful that we were able to find what was wrong with my baby and she sounds so much better now. Because of the craziness I couldn't grab my camera so I have no pictures. But maybe I'll add one with the penny later LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Rob & Autum said...

That is so crazy! I am glad she is doing better and is home now. Hospitals are not fun experiences with little ones.

One time I could tell Carter was chewing on something so I reached in and to my suprise pulled out a piece of GLASS. Earlier that day he had broken a baby food jar. Luckily it wasn't sharp and he didn't try to swallow it!! Kids put everything in their mouths so don't feel bad. You are a great mom!

Clint is such an awesome person. He has helped my family out so many times, which I am thankful for, but he probably wishes we would stop calling him! I hope he doesn't care. When you see him next tell him Thanks for me.

Janille said...

Scary!! I am so glad that they caught that! I still can't believe she had it in that long! I'm glad everything is okay!

Jessica said...

That is crazy! There is no way you would have known that was there! I am glad they were able to get it out without any problem.

Robyn said...

Oh my heck that is nuts! Im so glad she is ok! Dont you love when they do stuff like that! Remember when Adds stuck a earring back down her ear canal and we had to have surgery! Im suprised they live through these things! Glad she is ok! PS Tell Corbyn Happy Birthday!

Kasey said...

Don't feel badly about it at all. How were you to know? One day I came upstairs to see that Colin (this is when he was 2) had gotten into the medicine cabinet in his bathroom, took off the child-proof lid from Trevor's allergy medicine and ate it all! Luckily the lady at Poison Control told me what he ate would not affect him :)

Stephanie said...

OMG! i am so sorry that happened!!! That would have scared the crap out of me too! OMG! What are kids do to us....hahahah! i am so glad she is doing good now. Now i am going to panic every time Landon has a cough, thanks! (being the paranoid/anxiety mom that i am) hahahahah! i am so glad everything went well tho!